Google+

Wednesday 27 August 2014

I'm too young for Worthing

I couldn't be happier not to live in Worthing. Or as someone told me "People move to Worthing to die". 
That sums it up pretty much.




There is a thing about mobility scooters in Britain. To be honest, I think they increased in the past years like obesity grew in UK society.

I saw a mobility scooter for the first time at Disney World in Florida in 1995. My parents took a photograph because they couldn't believe that people are actually too fat to walk. I was too young to realise that my parents were being a bit unfair. But bless them, they never had seen such a thing before and probably had a brain freeze from ice cold beverages that made them record that situation. Bit like the ice bucket challenge.

Anyway, most of the people I saw driving/riding that thing parked their vehicle in front of shops and walked from there. Mobility scooters are important help to mobility-impaired and sick people, of course. But I have the feeling that a lot of people don't even consider using a zimmer frame anymore. And what has happened to the good old walking stick? Once I even saw a woman stop in the middle of the pavement, jump from a scooter and run towards bargain offers in front of a home supply shop. Yes, this is you Britain. This is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment