Google+

Tuesday 9 October 2012

I am the Lord of the Brick Lane


Yes, I gained recognition from a Bangladeshi waiter while eating my lamb vindaloo without any desire for water. I feel very proud now and ready for a „real“ vindaloo in Bangladesh or India or anywhere else in Asia. Brick Lane made me.
I am so into this blog, that I make notes for it. So I have a drunkenly written reminder in my mobile phone that says “low-sodium salt”. Whatever I wanted to tell you, my dearest friends, I considered that as so important to take a note. So low-sodium salt it is. I think I even seasoned my vindaloo with more salt. But I don’t know if that salt was low-sodium.
On that day, when I conquered Brick Lane, which was last Saturday, I went to an electro concert in super-über-trendy Dalston. The only band that I didn’t miss was a Swedish one-woman-band. But she is living in hip Berlin. London, I mean. (Getting so confused with all electro artists on dark stages with five people in the audience). She said that she felt a bit lost in urban London. Because she is a young girl from Sweden. Then she said that the next song is about living in a small village and that she feels that right now in London. This was the moment when I couldn’t follow her and her music anymore. I had to think about her contradictive argumentation and still didn’t get her. Maybe she was referring to Salman Rushdie’s Satanic Verses? The metropolitan novel about a globalised world? Her own heroic voyage? A young girl from little Sweden to not-as-great-as-it-used-to-be Britain? Maybe she was just drunk. Or crazy (she’s from Sweden, don’t forget that).
My course has started and I have three three-hour sessions with 5, 6 and 7 people. Yes. No mobile phones, no nothing. Just plain higher education. But not naked like in good old Greece. We read Adorno and watched a piece of Pina Bausch. Germany, country of poets and thinkers (this is a common self-description made by Germans, usually referring to Goethe and Schiller, but I would extend the circle to Adorno, maybe not Bausch)
Thank you for reading!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment