Google+

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Thinking of moving to another country? Move to another planet!



In an earlier post I whinged about my constant thoughts of moving away from Berlin. Away means for me to another country. But what did I dare to whinge! There are 200.000 people who want to leave mother earth. Forever. And ever ever. 

I don’t know why it never occurred to me that the Mars One project might be the most fascinating and exciting thing of the next decades.
I was never really interested in outer space. Maybe space in cakes and Space Oddity. But not really in the black hole – planetary system – universe. The earth revolves around the sun? I don’t care so long as there’s gravity. I didn’t pay much attention to the Mars One project. Until now. Holy crap, this is a spectacular happening. The first manned mission will depart in 2024. They will have a One-Way-Ticket. A ONE-way-ticket. No return, these people choose to die on Mars. They choose to never go to a supermarket again, never hug their family again, never go on holiday to Spain.
Complete madness. Human madness. Interesting madness. Madness that only humans can create. (But who else can create madness anyway?) There are a lot of possibilities and chances of what could happen. And I don’t mean scientific ones.
I think a lot about the people. What will happen to their personalities? Will they be famous media personalities? Will they share their thoughts and fears? Will they communicate with us, and most importantly – will they tweet and have a YouTube channel?
Mars One is the realisation of the vision of the famous lonesome island to which we all take our three things. And you all know what happens to people there. Remember Tom Hanks and his “special” relationship with Wilson or the kids from The Blue Lagoon and their “special” relationship. Sci-Fi freaks must – freak out now. Tomorrow I’ll send my film idea to Roland Emmerich. It’ll be a satirical Sci-Fi-apocalyptic story. But I won’t tell Emmerich that it’s satirical. Like the scriptwriter of Independence Day did it. Independence Day really works as a satire. Try it out.
The four people of the first mission will be dead famous. How will the people be monitored on Mars? Can it become a crazy Truman Show? What if they fall in love? What if there happens to be a baby born? A true Martian? Or will they be sterilised to make sure this won’t happen? No, that’s probably not the case. Perhaps they’ll choose asexual personalities.
How do they deal with equality? Men, women, transgender? So many questions!
I really hope the people will never come back. Yes. This is what makes the thrill for me. Otherwise it will be just another space mission.
But the highest risk of the whole thing is that it turns out to be utterly boring. Let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment